I just got a call from a distressed friend. She left her bicycle at the Wendover train station tied to the racks near the guard’s hut. When she returned form Aylesbury she found all the racks were uprooted and the bicycles leaning on the fence. Naturally I rushed over with a camera and had a chat with the Forman – Dave. According to him a sign informing of the planned work was hung last Friday. However, both my friend and the guard insist there was no sigh this morning. The half dozen bicycles I saw leaning on the fence attest to that. Moreover, the guard was clearly uninformed as he did not warn anybody not to secure their bicycle there. Most worrying is the fact that station staff are not sure what are the plans. Dave told me that there will be a new covered cycle rake installed by the southern fence (near the entrance to the car park, in full view of the guard). He believed it would be installed in a couple of weeks.
- Wouldn’t it have been wiser to first install the new cycle racks before taking the old away, especially when the cycling season has begun?
- Why take away the old ones in the first place. They would be replaced by only one or two more car spaces where there is a constant shortage of cycle parking?
- How many new stands are there going to be?
- What other works are going to take place. Are we about to see the long campaigned-for improvement in accessibility? (i.e. lifts)
- What did our Parish Council have to say about these plans?
- What was the contribution of our AVDC and BCC councillors to the plans and making the public aware of their existence?
Is this where the new stands are going the be? How many?